Friday, February 20, 2009

Pocahontas


Ya, I know this movie is old. I'll be reviewing as many movies as I can, old and new. So, Pocahontas.
Well, for starters, the music is awesome! Stephen Schwartz is one of the greatest composers of today. But, can't forget Alan Menken! He and Stephen make a great team! They've done music and lyrics for other movies such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and a newer movie, Enchanted, along with others I can't remember at this time.
When I was woken the other day by the movie being played somewhat loudly in the same room I HAD been sleeping in, I wasn't too happy. But I couldn't stay that way, seeing as Pocahontas is an awesome movie. When I heard the music, I thought to myself: "Did Stephen Schwartz do the music for this movie?" So, I immediately got up and checked the box. Sure enough, he had. But, not quite done with talking about the music yet. When the movie was over, the end song came on. Not odd, right? Well, the song was "If I never knew you." And that's when I and the person who had originally put the video in realized: That song was not in the movie! The song is supposed to be in the scene where Pocahontas goes into the tent to see John Smith for the last time. And I think the last time we watched this movie that song was in there. The difference? The one we were watching now was VHS. And the other one we had watched before was DVD. Guess what? The VHS's of Pocahontas, at least the older ones, DON'T HAVE THE SONG "If I Never Knew You" in the film. But you know, I didn't find that too shocking, for a couple reasons.
1. When I was a kid, I don't remember that song being in the movie. Because it wasn't. Kids don't care about the end credits, so it being at the end of the movie doesn't count.
2. I'd heard the song more recently, but before I watched the DVD. I had trouble naming what movie the song was from (seeing as I was listening online and it didn't tell me). And I can name all the movies that all the old disney cartoons go with at the drop of a hat. Me not knowing where a song comes from is not possible (unless that song isn't in the movie).
So, it was weird not seeing it now that I expected it, but it made more sense now that I'd seen both the DVD and VHS.
So anyway, this is a good movie for the kids. While it's somewhat historically incorrect, the kiddos won't know that! It is one of my favorite movies, but I'll say that about a lot of the old Disney cartoons. The songs, as I stated, are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment